Thursday, February 25, 2010

Do I believe because I understand?

Anselm of Canterbury wrote, "Nor do I seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe that I may understand. For this too I believe, that unless I first believe, I shall not understand." 

                He obviously understood 1Co 2:14 “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”  Without believing we cannot understand.    Many times understanding comes from the experience of putting into practice the principles of God’s Word.   But if we try to understand to believe we will miss it because that is not how understanding comes.   Believe, act, understand.   We say that we believe the principles of God’s Word but fail to act upon them.   Wouldn’t our actions cry out unbelief?  One reason that the Lord Jesus did not many miracles in Nazareth was because of their unbelief.   

                Anselm went on to say,  "I hold it to be a failure in duty if after we have become steadfast in our faith we do not strive to understand what we believe."  This is why Paul told Timothy in 2Ti 2:15 to  “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”   So, believing brings action, and God gives understanding.  Upon understanding I have greater knowledge for greater action to please God.   Brother and sister, are you studying God’s Word with hungry mind and spirit?         

No comments:

Post a Comment